Kombucha Tea Recipe
Makes 1 Gallon
Scale up or down depending on the size of your vessel
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 4-6 organic tea bags – for loose leaf, 1 bag of tea = 1 tsp
- Kombucha Starter Culture – (SCOBY)
- 1 cup starter liquid (the SCOBY should be stored in this liquid)
- 1 gallon purified/bottled water
- Large pot to boil the water
- brewing vessel (preferably glass with a spout and large opening at the top)
- cloth cover (tea towel or cheese cloth)
- rubber band
- Large table cloth to cover to keep dark and warm (alternatively you can use a cupboard)
- Boil the water then turn the heat off.
- Add the tea bags and sugar to the pot and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Steep the tea for 5-7 minutes, then remove tea bags. Decaffeinate the black tea if you’d like. Let the tea cool down to 85 degrees.
- Once the tea is cooled then you may fill your vessel with the tea, being sure to leave about 2 inches from the top for breathing room.
- Then Gently add the SCOBY and starter liquid.
- Cover with cloth cover and secure with the rubber band.
- Set in a warm location out of direct sunlight (unless vessel is opaque).
- Do not disturb for 7 days.
- After 7 days or so taste your Kombucha by pouring a little into a cup and take a sip. If too tart, then reduce your brewing cycle next time. If too sweet, allow to brew for a few more days. Continue to taste every day or so until you reach your optimum flavor preference. Your own Kombucha Tea Recipe may vary. The taste preference is yours and is definitely ready to drink after 7 days.
- If you prefer your Kombucha to be effervescent and perhaps more flavorful then you can make a second brew. Simply decant into a growler (a very strong bottle made for brewing beer and will not explode) and add flavor (optional) such as lemon and ginger or orange juice or cranberries and let sit with the hotel for another 7 days.
- Begin with drinking 4 to 8 oz daily on an empty stomach in the morning and then you can drink with your meals to help with digestion. Remember to drink ½ your body weight in ounces each day and combined with the Kombucha you have the perfect natural detoxifying combination for a healthy and vibrant life.