Drink Up, It’s The Holidays!
Does Holiday Cheer mean having an alcoholic drink in your hand?
Sometimes I get sucked into the abyss of drinking some alcohol like I did this past Friday night at a party. I was going to have a half a glass of red wine but they had run out so I opted for an “Old Fashion” and boy was it potent!!!
Well, what happened is I found myself a bit loopy so I decided that if I ate enough food it would sop up the alcohol and I wouldn’t look like a fool?
Yup, I ate everything that I could shove into my mouth because I was completely uninhibited.
It ruined my Saturday!
I woke up 3 hours later than usual, I felt hungover from the alcohol, and the sugar, my stomach was in knots and I was just miserable. The only thing that I accomplished that day was getting on the indoor trainer and spinning my wheels for an hour and that’s it. It was a completely wasted day to me!
What I learned is that I will go to parties very hydrated and also bring my own “special” drink so that I feel like I am partaking in the festivities.
Has this ever happened to you?
Here are a few ideas to prevent this from happening again….
- Bring a Kombucha drink and sip on that.
- Mix ½ Kombucha with seltzer water to reduce the sugar and caffeine
- Mix some seltzer water with lime, stevia, and a sprig of mint. Did someone say Mojito?
- Mix some seltzer water with fresh cranberries and a sprig of rosemary. Get fancy and smash the cranberries at the bottom.
- Add any frozen fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, mango to seltzer water and a sprig of mint.
Oh, so many combinations that I can’t write them all here.
Remember, the holidays are a time for celebrating family, friends and good food. It doesn’t have to feel miserable and take an entire day away from you like it did to me.