Why My House?Several reasons – and some known only to the insects – cause these creatures to choose your home.
- Thousands of Insects tend to congregate on the side of the house that the sun hits which is west or south facing walls. They retain the sun’s heat and keep them warm.
- It’s the color which attracts them. Stinkbugs and cluster flies, for example, tend to gather on light-colored surfaces.
- Ground beetles tend to infest homes that have planting beds located next to the foundation. Make sure your mulch doesn’t touch the foundation which can help.
- Box elder bugs frequent homes with yards that have female box elder and maple (especially silver maple) trees, the summer food source for these insects.
- Millipedes migrate from moist, heavily mulched flower beds to moist basements.
- When insects hibernate in your home, scientists suspect they leave behind chemical attractants that call subsequent generations to gather.