Obesity is one of the biggest problems faced by millions of people in America. This has resulted in a big weight loss corporate industry in the country like Weight watchers, Jenny Carig and many others. Although there are good programs, I feel people can themselves do quite a bit to reduce their weight. The two major factors in weight loss are exercise and controlled nutrition. I have put together several steps which will be useful to individuals looking to reduce their weight.
1. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Most fruits are low in calories and make you full sooner. Not to mention the other vitamins and fibers they also contain.
2. Read those nutrition fact labels: It is a good idea to know how many calories you are consuming. Some food combo’s can be deceptive, for example if you are having a plate of salad topped with a lot of high calorie dressing and a soda, then you have just had more calories than you might get from a combination of grilled chicken sandwich (with no cheese and dressing) plus ice tea. So be smart with what you eat. Prefer home cooked food as much as possible.
3. Eating smaller frequent meals will also help you cut down the total intake of calories compared to 3 big meals a day.
4. Give yourself a break: Being too restrictive can in many ways demotivate you, so to give yourself regular breaks. But do not overeat at this time, be conservative and try to make up for it in other meals.
5. Drinks: Soda, juice, cream are all loaded with sugars which we usually do not account for in our health plan. Drink water instead.
6. Exercise: Do not always depend on your car for everything, walk wherever you can. Go hiking and those backpacks help to burn extra calories. Make friends who have an active lifestyle, join a gym or get a treadmill in your home. Remember to increase your exercise in a progressive manner day by day instead of doing strenuous exercise from day one. Be practical on what your body can take and avoid overexertion.
7. Get motivation: Talk to people who have had success in weight loss and they will give you a lot of inspiration.
8. Get enough sleep, reduce stress and live happy.
9. Reward yourself when you reach your monthly weight loss milestones.
10. Never give up, even if you have failed a few times previously.
11. Eating slowly can lead to weight loss: Did you ever notice that thin people take an awfully long time to eat their food? Eating slowly is one method that can help take off pounds. That’s because from the time you begin eating it takes the brain 20 minutes to start signaling feelings of fullness. Fast eaters often eat beyond their true level of fullness before the 20 minute signal has had a chance to set in. The amount of calories consumed before you begin to feel full can vary significantly depending on how quickly you eat. So slow down, take smaller bites and enjoy and savor every tasty morsel.