Using yoga for weight loss might not look effective to most people. Many say, “It’s just stretching…how can it possibly burn calories?” Well, you’d be surprised. Yoga can indeed work for weight loss. It is a safe and effective form of low impact exercise that most people can practice. Now let’s dive into the facts about using yoga as an option for weight loss.
Sun Salutations – the core exercise of Yoga
Sun Salutations are simple to learn and just about anyone, regardless of fitness or flexibility level, can master these moves. They have been practiced for centuries as a system to rejuvenate the body and soul.
Here are some benefits:
· Helps to alleviate disorders of the skin and waist
· Increases flexibility and circulation, and corrects breathing
· Calorie burner – try holding poses for 5 breaths!
· Effective method to loosen up, stretch and massage all joints and internal organs
· Helps to stimulate and balance all systems of the body including the endocrine, circulatory, reproductive and digestive system
Now let’s give it a try:
1. Stand straight with palms together (Prayer pose)
2. Inhale and stretch arms above the head
3. Exhale and bend forward while touching the toes
4. Inhale and stretch the right leg away from the body in a big backward step and keep the hands and left foot firmly on the ground. The left knee should be between the hands
5. Inhale and hold the breath. Move the left leg to meet the right, and with both feet together (knees on the floor if you must), rest on the hands (arms straight) and keep the body in a straight line from head to foot (Plank pose)
6. Exhale and lower the body to the floor
7. Inhale and slide forward raising the chest (Cobra pose)
8. Exhale, lift hips and tail bone up, chest down in an inverted V (Downward Facing Dog)