Your Gut Health Could Be The Secret To Fitness Success
- Efficient nutrient absorption
Studies have shown that nutrition accounts for about 80% of weight loss efforts (that’s huge). And absorbing crucial nutrients is exactly what a healthy digestive system does.
However, in a situation where the gut is in a state of dysbiosis, or is unbalanced or unhealthy, it’s likely that important nutrients are simply passing through without being absorbed. Of course, this has a significant negative impact on your health, fitness, and weight loss journey. In fact, poor nutrient absorption can affect everything from metabolism to hormone balance-both of which are important determinants of fitness and weight loss.
- Increased energy levels
Speaking of the nutritional functions of the digestive system, your gut is the only conduit between your food energy sources and the cells where that energy is needed.
With the combination of a healthy gut and a whole food diet, your body will have fast and efficient access to this energy. This comes with a variety of benefits including endurance, the ability to push through intense workouts, and more. It’s amazing what the body is able to do and accomplish when it has the right fuel.
- Reduced bloating
Whether you are on a fitness journey or not, there are fewer things as frustrating as bloating. Gas, discomfort, always feeling full, clothes fitting tighter than they should, the list of negative effects from bloating goes on. And, it’s even worse when on a weight loss journey. Despite all the work you are putting in with nutrition and exercise, bloating can make it seem like you are not making any progress. Additionally, the associated abdominal discomfort can make things like working out feel like punishment.
When your gut is healthy, bloating will become a thing of the past, and you will no longer have to worry about your weight loss progress being hidden behind a dome of gas.
- Increased basal metabolic rate
This may come as a surprise, but a healthy gut could also improve your basal metabolic rate, also known as your metabolism. Ultimately an improved basal metabolic rate will lead to your body becoming more efficient at burning calories. Theories suggest that this connection has to do with the activities of the gut microbiome and physiologic connections with the nervous and endocrine systems.
- A clearer and healthier mind
While on a fitness journey, it is important to have a sharp mind, good moods, and stable emotions. After all, a clear mind will help you stay disciplined enough to see results while good moods and stable emotions will keep you going when things seem unnecessarily difficult. Thankfully, a healthy gut can help you maintain all three of these things.
The central nervous system and gut are connected through something called the gut-brain axis. This connection allows the two systems to influence each other, so when the gut is healthy and functioning properly, it can positively influence brain functions such as cognition and emotions.
- Better recovery and immune function
If you have been on your fitness journey for more than a day, you know how much of a physical toll it can take on your body. You need as much help to recover from all the hard work you put into getting fit.
The gut helps with this in many ways by providing the nutrients needed for recovery to supporting a healthy immune system through the help of the gut microbiome.
Ways To Improve Your Gut Health
- Practice a whole foods-based diet. Ditch the fake foods (chips, candy, ice cream…) and focus on consuming a diet rich in whole foods, foods that haven’t been processed or have been minimally processed (legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies, meat and so on…).
- Hydrate with high-quality H20. Aim for at least half of your body weight in ounces per day. Your body depends on quality hydration. (For Example, if you weigh 150 lbs, then shoot for 75 ounces of water per day.) Water helps keep the skin nice, supple, and flexible. In addition to that, it helps your gut with its elimination process.
- Replenish digestive enzymes. Supplement with digestive enzymes daily. Enzymes help break down and assimilate the foods you eat. In other words, they help convert those whole foods you are consuming into materials necessary to nourish the skin and run the body.
- Rebuild friendly bacteria. Supplement with probiotics daily. These friendly bacteria help keep you healthy in more ways than one. And, as discussed, they also help maintain the gut skin connection.
- Boost nutrient intake. Have you ever heard of organic Wild Microalgae®? It’s a rare type of blue-green algae that contains an extraordinary nutrient profile. In fact, it’s a near-perfect food filled with all 20 standard amino acids, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, phenylethylamine (PEA), and antioxidant pigments phycocyanin and chlorophyll.
Click Here For Your Free Reboot Guide
Sending You Tons of Love and Humongous Hugs,
Tina “Stay Healthy” McDermott